Wilwood Dual Master Cylinder Brake Upgrade

 

With the recent upgrades to the engine and the intake combination. It’s time to focus on an area that I have been unhappy with since I started driving the truck. That is the horrible braking performance. You can check out HERE where I tried to modify the pedal ratio when I did the manual brake conversion. As some had mentioned back then, this was incorrect. They were indeed right. The pedal effort is very high and the braking performance is miserable. The truck will easily push through the brakes and trying to slow down from a hundred and thirty is scary to say the least.

Factory steering column support, brake and clutch pedal support bracket assembly.

 

The structure ties the steering column mounting points, the brake pedal and clutch pedal pivot points together. It’s extremely ight. I’m guessing magnesium. Since I will no longer be using the factory brake pedal and have long since eliminated the clutch setup. It is no longer needed and will only be in the way of the new pedal assembly. So I trimmed off enough to only retain the steering column mounting points. This will eventually be removed entirely when I swap over to an aftermarket column that will be mounted to the roll cage cross bar.

Brake pedal and clutch pedal support assembly trimmed down to only support the steering column.

For the new pedal and master cylinder assembly I went with the Wilwood dual master cylinder and pedal assembly kit from Speedway Motors. For under two hundred and fifty dollars you get the robust pedal assembly with the proper 7:1 ratio ideal for manual braking. You also get two one inch bore lightweight aluminum single outlet master cylinders. So in the event a hose or line breaks. The vehicle will still have one complete functioning set of full size disc brakes. A bargain for the peace of mind and safety and cheap insurance.

Mocking up the pedal and master cylinder assemblies to the new mounting plate.
Mocking up the pedal and master cylinder assemblies to the new mounting plate.
Mocking up the pedal and master cylinder assemblies to the new mounting plate.
Both masters mounted and brake lines bent and installed.
Both masters mounted and brake lines bent and installed.

I also installed a Jegs manual brake proportioning valve and a hydraulic brake light switch since I lost the factory brake light switch and it’s mounting location with the new pedal assembly. So the brake lights are now activated around 5-10psi brake line pressure. The Wilwood pedal assembly also utilizes a balance bar. Which allows adjustment between front and rear braking bias and pedal effort. I currently have the pedal assembly setup for minimum pedal effort. It feels and stops as good as it did with conventional vacuum assisted brakes. In fact even better with the additional stopping power of the Moser rear brake kit.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.