I decided that it would look good to pull some of the green color into the interior of the truck. So I went ahead and painted the gauge trim piece. This involved first sanding it with 1200 grit sandpaper, then applying two coats of plastic primer, followed by 3 coats of color and 6 coats of clear to help prevent scratching, and to really bring out the shine to match the exterior once it was buffed up.
Since I went to the effort to paint and clear the dash and gauge trim. I felt it would be silly not to color match the aftermarket stereo adapter. So it was sanded lightly using 400 grit, then given two coats of plastic primer followed by two coats of color and 4 coats of clear as this will be bumped and fingered constantly while the stereo is being used.